20 Easy Home Remedies to Cure Indigestion
Indigestion is often a sign of an underlying problem, such as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), ulcers, or gallbladder disease, rather than a condition of its own.
Also called dyspepsia, it is defined as a persistent or recurrent pain or discomfort in the upper abdomen.
Indigestion is not caused by excess stomach acid.
Swallowing excessive air when eating may increase the symptoms of belching and bloating, which are often associated with indigestion.
Sometimes people have persistent indigestion that is not related to any of these factors. This type of indigestion is called functional, or non-ulcer dyspepsia.
It is a normal fact that most people tend to eat more sometimes, especially when the food is too delicious, while overeating may lead to indigestion, this occurs when there is excess acid in the stomach. Besides overeating, there are more other factors for an indigestion:
- Eating under stress
- Eating too hurry without chewing well
- Food allergies
- Lack of physical activities
If you are trying to cure indigestion, then the following home remedies can help:
- Apple cider vinegar is a good digestive aid, you can simply drink a tablespoon of it before eating or mix it into water to drink
- Drinking green tea or herbal tea aids in digestion
- Drink half a glass of pineapple juice after meal
- Drink a cup of ginger tea after eating, for best result, you can mix a spoon of lemon juice and two spoons of honey together with the warm ginger tea, this can cure heartburn and nausea effectively
- Banana can ease indigestion due to the natural antacid properties it contains
- Turmeric can prevent stomach-acid buildup to promote digestion
- Drink a glass of aloe vera juice in the early morning on empty stomach may ease indigestion problems
- Chamomile tea works well too, for indigestion. Just simply mix one tablespoon of dried chamomile flower with boiling water and drink it 2-3 times a day
- Eat some grapes when you experience indigestion, this super fruit is very good at easing any type of digestion problems
- Just simply sipping a glass of hot water may ease indigestion too
- Half an hour after meal, apply an ice bag over your stomach
- Chewing a fresh garlic clove together with some salt 10 minutes around before meal time
- Mix equal parts of baking soda and water in a cup for instant relief
- Cumin seeds are also effective in curing indigestion, just mix one teaspoon of them in a glass of water and drink it
- Mix one teaspoon of fresh coriander leaf juice with a pinch of salt and drink it
- Drink a tablespoon of cinnamon water after an hour after eating helps to relieve indigestion
- A teaspoon of seeds of ajwain with salt is beneficial in curing digestive disorders
- Drinking buttermilk after meal improves digestion
- Half a glass of carrot juice mixed with half a glass of water is helpful
- Mix 2 drops of peppermint oil with 8 oz. of cold water, drink a glass of it when you have indigestion
Above these home remedies for occasional indigestion are useful, while you can avoid of getting indigestion problems by making good habits, including avoiding overeating, especially the hard-digest foods; avoid eating too quickly, chewing properly; avoid spicy and high acid foods; do not exercise with a full stomach just after eating.
If your symptoms still don’t get better with these home treatments, then keep a record of your indigestion problems and see your doctor.